Monday 21 April 2014

LEAH's Kitchen: Stir-Fried Basil Beef

#Basilchicken has always been one of my favourite Thai dish. And when one of my friend told me she knew how to cook that dish, I was delighted! Of course, I would ask her for the recipe and try cooking it on my own ;p Why not since I can drown myself by eating a whole plate of Basil Chicken be it 100gm, 200gm or 300gm and it will still much cheaper compare to when you order from hawker stall. Heh.

I have tried cooking Basil chicken before and it was delicious ^self-praise^ huhu... I did a little twist this time round by swapping the protein from chicken to beef since I had some leftover minced beef from the previous cooking tryst (Fried Tom Yum Macaroni, will share this recipe soon!). Yup, so I made a full good use of the frozen minced beef and cooked #basilbeef for my husband.

Oh yes, I need to complain. I really hate defrosting meat. It takes forever to defrost. Bleah.

Thai Basil Beef (3 pax)
 
 
Ingredients:
1 x Onion (chopped)
4 x Garlic (chopped)
5 x Chilli Padi (varies, depends on the level of spiciness that you want)
250gm minced beef (can substitute for chicken)
Thai Fish Sauce
Light Soya Sauce
Sweet Soya Sauce (Kicap Manis)
Basil Leaves (just the leaves)
Salt
Pepper
 
Instructions:
1. Using vegetable oil, stir fry onions, garlic and chilli padi in your wok. Fry till fragrance.
2. Add light soya sauce, thai fish sauce and sweet soya sauce. Add minced beef and stir fry the beef till the meat is 90% cooked.
3. Add basil leaves and stir-fry till the leaves soften.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
 
My Healthy Rating:
This dish can be pretty salty since Thai Fish Sauce is being used here. Hence, watch out for the saltiness level when you add the sauces and salt to this dish.
This dish is best served with fragrance rich and sunny side up egg (malay call it "mata lembu"). Overall, I would say that the dish is a good source of protein if you cut down on the carbohydrate intake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment